As you may or may not know I have been switching things up in my diet recently (under the guidance of a dietician) in the hope to manage my IBS symptoms. I have been tested for coeliac disease and this came back negative. However I do think I have an intolerance to gluten and dairy.
I absolutely love baking, but baked goods just do not agree with me….. So I decided to experiment with some of my favourite recipes and adapt them to be totally gluten-free & dairy-free. I also decided to push the boat out a bit more and make the recipe egg-free too as my best friend and her family are visiting at the weekend and she follows a vegan diet.
My favourite cupcake recipe is from the Hummingbird Bakery – using this recipe I get perfect cupcakes every time; check it out here.
I decided to use this recipe as a base and switch in gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free alternatives.
120g Plain Gluten-Free Flour
140g Caster Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
40g Vitalife Sunflower Spread
120ml Dairy-Free Milk Alternative (I used Coconut Milk)
1 Egg (I used chia seeds soaked in water as an egg replacer – I searched Pinterest to find alternatives)
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Set the oven to 170 oc.
2. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt & sunflower spread until it resembles a sandy consistency.
3. Pour in half the milk and gently mix.
4. Whisk the egg replacer with the milk and vanilla extract and pour into the cake batter.
5. Mix the batter until it is smooth but do not over mix.
6. I used large cupcake cases and split the mixture into 12 cases. Next time I will only make 9 cupcakes as I think they will rise better.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
They tasted delicious, even my boyfriend was blown away when I told him they were gluten, dairy and egg free!
I am looking forward to adapting other recipes and experimenting with more free from recipes so I can still enjoy eating my baked goods without the negative stomach reactions.
Thanks for reading and I hope you have enjoyed this recipe. Let me know what you think, do you have any recommendations for me? I love reading and replying to your comments.
You can follow me on: